res·o·lute adjective \ˈre-zə-ˌlüt, -lət\ : very determined : having or showing a lot of determination
Full Definition of RESOLUTE
1: marked by firm determination : resolved <a resolute character>
2: bold, steady <a resolute gaze>
— res·o·lute·ly\-ˌlüt-lē, -lət-; ˌre-zə-ˈlüt-\adverb
— res·o·lute·ness\-ˌlüt-nəs, -lət-, –ˈlüt-\noun
Examples of RESOLUTE
- She is a resolute competitor.
- He has remained resolute in his opposition to the bill.
- a leader with a stern and resolute manner
Origin of RESOLUTE
Latin resolutus, past participle of resolvere
First Known Use: 1533
Related to RESOLUTE
- bent (on or upon), bound, decisive, do-or-die, firm, hell-bent (on or upon), intent, out, purposeful, determined, resolved, set, single-minded
- faltering, hesitant, indecisive, irresolute, undetermined, unresolved, vacillating, wavering, weak-kneed